Chicken and mushroom pie
4.8/5 Not too fiddly, and has lovely gravy. Jerry, aka Chef)
A creamy, heartwarming meal that is made really easy by using pre-rolled puff pastry.
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) chicken breasts, skin removed
- 150 g (5.5 oz) button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled ad crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup single cream
- Handful of freshly chopped parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6 - Moderately hot)
- If your electric oven has the options of upper, lower, both elements, use the lower element.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and stir-fry the garlic for a minutes or so. Use little of it to grease a pie dish.
- Cube the chicken 1.5 cm (1/2") cubes
- Season the flour with salt, pepper and nutmeg and roll the chicken in the seasoned flour so that it's well coated.
- Arrange the leeks and onions in the base of the pie dish.
- Cover with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Pour the remaining butter and garlic over the chicken pieces.
- Mix the stock and cream together and pour over the chicken.
- Roll out the pastry and cover the pie dish, cut a few slashes in the crust to let air out while it's cooking
- Bake for 1 hour in the middle of the oven.
- Check after 20 minutes and if the crust looks as though it might be starting to burn, lay a sheet of tin foil over the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #piedish #butter #flour #cream #nutmeg #stock #chickenandmushroompie #garlic #tinfoil #bake