Cheese pupusas (V)
A pupusa is a stuffed corn-tortilla, usually served with a spicy coleslaw called curtido.
- 2 cups of grated cheese (use a mixture of cheeses; Cheddar, Mozzarella and ricotta)
- 3 tablespoons of double cream
- ½ a cup of chopped spring onions
- Sea salt to taste
- Make the tortillas as shown here, but don't cook them yet
- Mix all of the ingredients together to make a soft paste
- Divide the mixture into balls, slightly larger than golf-balls and place each ball in the centre of the tortilla and press the mixture out, leaving a gap around the edge
- Cover with another tortilla and press together to seal
- Heat a griddle pan or heavy frying pan and wipe over with a lightly oiled kitchen towel
- Cook each pupusa until it is nicely toasted. This will take about 4 minutes a side
- Keep warm while you cook the remaining pupusas
Serve with curtido
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.