Caribbean corn bread
From Carla's cookery blog: Carla's cookery blog
"Would you like to try something different to go with your Holiday Ham? Here is a fantastic cornbread recipe with a bit of a Caribbean twist - pineapple! . Give it a try and let me know what you think. I think it would be excellent with some barbecued jerk chicken too."
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- .75 cup sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 1.5 cups canned cream-style corn
- .5 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese or mild white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Butter and flour a 9-inch square glass cake pan (you can use a metal pan but glass works better).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- While mixer is running, add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add corn, pineapple and cheese; mix to blend.
- At low speed, add flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until golden brown around edges and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#caribbeancornbread #butter #flour #pineapple #cornmeal #glass #bakingpowder #cheese #mixer #corn #cream