The basic ingredients are mashed potatoes, mashed onions and minced collard greens, savoy cabbage, or kale. Common flavouring ingredients are garlic and salt. Before serving, slices of chouriço are also often added as well as olive oil. It is usually accompanied by slices of Portuguese broa bread on the side.
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed (or to taste)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 450 g (1 lb) greens of choice: (collard greens, savoy cabbage, kale or a mixture of all three), jullienned
- 1800 ml water
- 225 g chorizo sausage, casing removed and cut into 5 mm (¼”) discs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika or to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for dressing
- Heat 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven and gently sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes or so
- Add the potatoes and half of the greens and heat and shimmy until the cabbage wilts a little
- Add the water and bring to the boil, reduce and simmer until the potatoes are soft. About 15 to 20 minutes
- Purée the cooked mixture, in batches if necessary, and return to the heat
- Ass the sausage, remaining cabbage and season with paprika, salt and pepper
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the greens are cooked to your liking
- Ladle onto separate soup plates
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve with broa
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.