Beer pickled belly of pork
The inspiration for this recipe comes from a combination of pulled pork (carnitas), slow roast herby pork belly and Jocasta Innes' beer pickle marinade. I have use a mix of lager and mild as I have a plentiful supply from my barrels of home-brew!
The meat should marinate for 1 week before cooking, which could also be suitable for a preservative cure, however, in this recipe it is purely for the purpose of flavouring.
- 1.3 kg (3 lb) belly of pork
- 2 pints home made beer ( I used a mixture of lager and mild ale)
- 2 pints water (or enough to completely cover the joint)
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 100g sea salt
- 4 tablespoons black treacle
- 6 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder / curry powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons malt vinegar
- Slash the pork belly with a knife so there are deep cuts on both sides to ensure the pickle can really flavour the meat
- Mix the pickle mixture together and place the pork in a non-metallic container ensuring the pork is totally immersed. Refrigerate for 1 week.
- If you are luck enough to have a smoker, after 1 week, pat the joint dry and smoke for an hour or so before roasting.
- 1 Week later: Preheat the oven to its highest setting - it will be turned down as soon as the meat goes in.
- Lay the joint on a rack, skin-side-up, over a roasting tray and rub the olive oil into the skin
- Sprinkle with finely ground sea salt
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 220° C (425° F - gas 7) and roast for 20 minutes
- Using a kitchen towel, pat off any excess fat that may be gathering on the top of the crackling
- Reduce the heat to 165° C (325° F - gas 3) and roast for 1 hour or a little longer if needed, it does dry out easily so keep an eye on it.
- Rest for 10 minutes, then cut into bite-sized chunks
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step-by-step roasting guide
- Pulled pork
- The renowned Mr Brown Pulled Pork - Oriental
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Slow cooker recipe)
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Sous-Vide recipe)
- Cochinita pibil
- Beer pickled belly of pork
- Eight hour smoky pulled pork in Guinness
- Pulled pork (slow cooker recipe)
- Slow roast recipes
- Our smoker recipe section
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.