Eight hour smoky pulled pork in Guinness
Worthy of the wait
- 2.2kg Pork shoulder joint
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 30g smoked paprika or a mixture of normal and smoked paprika
- 1 bunch of thyme
- A few bay leaves
- 300 ml of Guinness original (small bottle)
- 1 bulb of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- A tablespoon of muscovado sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut a criss-cross of slashes in the skin with a very sharp knife such as a Stanley knife. The skin won't go crispy but it helps to keep the meat moist and the slashes let the marinade through. I normally leave the lemon skins in while it marinades and also whilst it cooks.
- Place the joint in a large tray, pour the marinade over and refrigerate overnight, 'basting' now and then.
- Preheat the oven to maximum heat
- Mix all of the ingredients together and
- Cover the roasting tray with tin-foil, sealing the edges. Ensure that the roasting tray is very well sealed or the joint is likely to dry out after 8 hours cooking. #see talk page
- Place in the oven and immediately turn the heat down to 140° C (257° F - gas 1)
- Cook for 8 hours
- Decant the joint to another roasting tray, shred whatever meat you are going to consume immediately, store the remaining meat in a Lock and Lock style box and refrigerate for later use. This way it will stays moist and fresh.
- Using a fat strainer separate most of the excess fat from the cooking juices and discard. Add the cooking juices back to the roasting tray and heat up over the hob. Mix in the shredded meat, stir well to mix then transfer to a serving dish.
A can of drained kidney beans or virtually any pulses added at the start of the cooking process make this recipe stretch even firther.
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step-by-step roasting guide
- Pulled pork
- The renowned Mr Brown Pulled Pork - Oriental
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Slow cooker recipe)
- The renowned Mr Brown's Pulled Pork (Sous-Vide recipe)
- Cochinita pibil
- Beer pickled belly of pork
- Eight hour smoky pulled pork in Guinness
- Pulled pork (slow cooker recipe)
- Slow roast recipes
- Our smoker recipe section
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#eighthoursmokypulledporkinguinness #roastingtray #pittabread #porkshoulder #marinade #coleslaw #muscovadosugar #marinading #bayleaves #juice #garlic