Arnab bil tomatich (Rabbit with tomato)
This rabbit recipe is from Algeria.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons smen (clarified butter) or 25 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, finely chopped
- 1 kg boneless rabbit meat, cut into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon or more of harissa
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 600 ml water or chicken stock
- 450 g ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée diluted in 150 ml water
- Heat the oil and the smen or butter in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft.
- Add the rabbit pieces, stir, cover and fry for 15-20 minutes, stirring often to ensure that the meat is sealed on all sides.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, harissa, bay leaves, cumin and water or stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato purée into the pan and simmer for a further 20-30 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the rabbit is tender.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#rabbit #harissa #garlic #simmer #butter #onion #smen #tomato #bayleaves #unusualrecipes #sauce