Ackee and saltfish
Not for me
You will probably have to use canned ackee unless you are in the West Indies.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli pepper, finely chopped with the seeds removed if preferred
- 450g [1 lb] salt cod (saltfish)
- 2 sweet peppers of any colour, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 400g can of tinned ackee
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1 level teaspoon of dried thyme
- Soak the saltfish (salt cod) overnight in plenty of fresh cold water, changing a few times if you are able. Rinse well.
- Once the saltfish has been soaked for 24 hours and rinsed, simmer gently for 25 minutes and discard the water.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok, add the black pepper and gently fry the onions and sweet peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and chopped chilli pepper and stir-fry for another few minutes
- Add the salt cod and fry for 5 minutes, allowing the flesh to break up a little
- Stir in the thyme, season to taste and serve.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#saltfish #ackeeandsaltfish #saltcod #ackee #sweetpeppers #fry #chillipepper #riceandpeas #thyme #images #seeds