Spicy brisket (SV)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Whilst this is often eaten at Christmas, it can (and should) be made all year round as it is excellent when cold and sliced for sandwiches or salads. It is also a cheap cut of beef which is improved by long cooking at a low temperature. This recipe produces a medium-rare meat.
For the brine
For the brisket
- 1kg brisket (unrolled)
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Put the brine ingredients into a bowl with the brisket making sure that the meat is submerged into the liquid. Cover and leave for 3 hours in a cool place or refrigerator.
- Preheat the water bath to 56.5°C (133.7°F).
- Meanwhile remove the brisket from the brine and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Rub the sugar and the ground spices all over the meat.
- Place in a vacuum pouch and evenly distribute the whole spices over the meat.
- Seal the pouch and cook in the water bath for 24-30 hours.
- Remove from the pouch and brush off the spices and sugar.
- Pat dry.
- Sear the meat in a smoking frying pan for 1-2 minutes on each side or a blowtorch to brown both side.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
Cook at 49°C (120.2°F) for rare meat, 60°C (140°F) for medium, 65.5°C (149.9°F) for medium well or 71°C (159.8°F) for well done.
This can, of course, be served as a joint as part of a hot meal.
You can use your own favourite spice mix, but if using whole spices, ensure they are not hard and jagged or you might pierce the vacuum pouch.
- Sous vide cooking
- Category:Sous vide recipes
- Sous vide cooking times
- How to cook sous vide meat to different levels of doneness
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures
- SousVide Supreme sous vide cooker
- Anova Standalone sous-vide water heater and circulator
- Home made sous-vide slow cooker conversion kit
- Vacuum sealer (generic)
- Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine
- Vacuum sealed containers
- Andrew James 8.5 Litre Professional Sous Vide Water Bath Cooker
- Burton Sous Vide Water Bath
- Can the Crockpot Slow cooker and Multi cooker be used as a sous vide bath?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#spices #brine #litres #blackpeppercorns #salads #groundcloves #onionpowder #allspice #ground #garlicpowder #chilliflakes