Mexican fishballs in tomato sauce
Masa harina has such a wonderful unique flavour that it's worth the effort to try and get hold of it. Most Mexican ingredient suppliers stock it.
- 250g basa fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion, roughly chopped
- About 200 ml of dried breadcrumbs or 2 slices of white bread, finely chopped
- 1 raw egg
- A big handful of chopped parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g Masa harina
- 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of Olive oil
serve and garnish with
- Tabasco sauce or Louisiana hot pepper sauce
- 1 Sliced roasted red peppers
- 150 ml Sofrito or Tomato sauce for pizza. Most supermarkets sell good quality freshly pulped tomato sauce in bottles that would be fine for this.
- 1 Finely chopped hard-boiled egg
- 10 Olives
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Add all of the fishball ingredients into a food processor with a metal blade and blitz to a rough paste.
- Roll into small balls and leave to chill in the fridge for an hour or so
- Add a few tablespoons of masa harina to a large plate, only a little is needed so don't waste it as I did!
- Roll the balls in masa harina to coat.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry until browned and crispy on the outside
- Serve with tomato sauce and the garnishes of your choice.
I have added a handful of finely chopped dried shrimp to the mixture. Not authentic, but adds a nice fishy touch to fishcakes and similar recipes.
When I made this I tinkered with the tomato sauce and came up with a separate recipe (if you can call it a recipe), Mild Mexican passata. It went really well with the fishballs as it had a slightly bitter, chocolatey note.
When I made this, the paste was far too wet, so I added another handful of dried breadcrumbs, a little masa, remixed it and set it in a sieve for an hour to drain a little excess liquid. The result was still quite liquid, but the end result was excellent.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#masaharina #mexicanfishballsintomatosauce #mildmexicanpassata #basa #parsley #whitebread #tabascosauce #egg #fry #whitefish #oliveoil