Zuppa di cipolle e vino
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g butter
- 1.5kg onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- garlic, crushed, to taste
- 600ml dry white wine
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 3 cloves
- Seasoning to taste
- 4 slices stale, white bread, cubed
- 2 further cloves of garlic, crushed
- 25g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat the oil and melt half the butter in a deep pan and add the onions.
- Fry until soft, stir in the garlic, then cook for a further minute so.
- Add the wine and simmer until it has reduced by one quarter.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the cloves, season, then cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and fry the bread cubes and the 2 cloves of Crushed garlic until the bread is crisp and brown.
- Ditch the garlic and put the bread in the bottom of the soup bowls.
- Pour over the soup and sprinkle it with the Parmesan.
Use red onions and red wine, or substitute cider for the wine.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.