Varkenslapjes met abrikozen (Pork chops with apricots)
A Dutch comfort food recipe
- 35g butter
- 4 thick pork chops
- ¼ ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato purée
- 125ml red wine
- 8 fresh or tinned apricot halves
- 3 tablespoons fine fried breadcrumbs
- A further 20g butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C]
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Meanwhile, season the chops with the ginger, salt and pepper.
- Fry the chops over a high heat until evenly browned.
- Place the chops in a casserole dish and surround with the chopped onion.
- Discard the far from the frying pan and add the tomato purée and wine.
- Heat through and pour over the chops.
- Cover with the apricot halves, sprinkle withe the breadcrumbs and dot with butter.
- Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes (for fan, you may need less time).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.