Sweetcorn and cheddar scones
🧀 + 🌽 = 💖💘💝
5/5 Two of my favourite foods in a scone - wow! Jerry, aka Chef)
These savoury scones are packed full of summer sunshine. They go down with little ones, as well as adults. Serve as an alternative afternoon tea, in lunchboxes or alongside soup - perhaps, a rich, roasted red pepper soup. Mmm...
- 2 sweetcorn cobs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of finely chopped chilli (or chilli powder)
- 1tsp salt
- 50g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 150g grated cheddar, plus extra for tops
- 175ml milk, plus extra for brushing
Heat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Cut the kernels off the cobs, place in a pan, add enough water to just cover. Simmer 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Mix flour, baking powder, chilli and salt. Rub butter cube into the mix until it looks like fine crumbs. Add grated cheddar and the corn. Drizzle in the milk. Fold in to make a slightly sticky dough. Don't over-work.
- Gently knead on a floured surface until smooth. Divide into 10 balls. Shape each roughly with floured hands. Put onto an oiled baking sheet. Brush scones with a little milk. Scatter grated cheese over the top. Bake for 10-12 mins or until the scones are risen, golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Delicious with butter.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be delivered to your door by Abel & Cole; weekly home deliveries of organic fruit and vegetable boxes, and much much more.
#butter #grated #scones #sweetcornandcheddarscones #cheddar #chilli #soup #bakingpowder #dough #corn #brush