Stir fried roots with potatoes
This is a simple mix of vegetables that is very adaptable. Purple Majesty potatoes are available from branches of Sainsbury's.
Albert Bartlett products can be found in most UK supermarkets. You can find out more about their products at http://albertbartlett.co.uk.
- ½ pack (about 600g) Purple Majesty potatoes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into quarters lengthways
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into quarters lengthways
- 1 whole Fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50g smoked lean bacon cut into small pieces (See Variations below)
- Peel and cut potatoes in half.
- Place in a large, lidded pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes until tender but still holding shape.
- Meanwhile, in a wide non-stick wok/frying pan, over a medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until starting to brown, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil to the wok/frying pan and add the carrots and parsnip slices and sauté over a high heat, stirring continuously for 5 mins.
- Now, add the sliced fennel, onion, a couple of tablespoons of water and season with black pepper, cover and cook over a medium heat for a further 15 minutes until the root vegetables are tender and the onion is transparent.
- Finally, strain the cooked Purple Majesty potatoes and add those and the cooked bacon back into the vegetable mix.
- Mix together and serve immediately with a sprinkling of fresh parsley on top.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of the now inactive www.albert-bartlett.co.uk
#bacon #potatoes #stirfriedrootswithpotatoes #wok #parsnip #parsley #sesameoil #onion #blackpepper #fennelbulb #grilled