Spicy chicken with fried rice
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on
- 200g Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger or lazy ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g rice, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas, defrosted (or vegetables of your choice)
- Add the yogurt, ginger, garlic, spices and seasoning to a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut 3 or 4 slits across each thigh, penetrating the flesh.
- Add the chicken pieces and coat well. Cover (with foil or clingfilm) and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Heat the oil and fry the onion for 4 minutes
- Add the rice and peas then stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes until the rice is properly reheated.
- Serve immediately.
The chicken pieces could be cooked on a barbecue just as easily. Turn them often.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.