Sopa de maní y tomates (Peanut and tomato soup)
(Redirected from Sopa de maní y tomates (Peanut and tomato soup) recipe)
This is the traditional Aji de Carne (Beef, Peanut, and Tomato Spicy Soup), eaten by people from Quito- Ecuador. It's delicious!
- 60ml achiote oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 250g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 Red chillies,chopped but without seeds
- 400g tinned, chopped tomatoes
- 150g unsalted peanuts
- 1 litre Water
- 250g beef cut into small pieces
- 250ml milk
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon coriander, to garnish
- 1 fried sweet plantain cut into round pieces to garnish
- Heat the achiote oil in a large pan over a low heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, potatoes and chillies and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Cut the beef into small pieces and cook until done.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and a little water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the rest of the water.
- Meanwhile, toast the peanuts by gently cooking them in a dry frying pan over a medium heat, taking care not to burn them.
- Set 2 tablespoons of the peanuts aside to use as a garnish.
- Transfer the remaining peanuts to a food processor and blitz until finely ground. Add the milk until smooth.
- Add the tomatoes, the cumin, the beef, and the peanuts to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve in hot bowls, garnished with the remaining peanuts,coriander, and the sweet fried plantains cut into round pieces.
Quite filling and delicious on its own!
I doubled the recipe and used 5 chillies of the general sort you would buy from an Asian grocer and I left the seeds in. The heat level was fine for us, but I could be too hot for a lot of people, so start off with a little and add more if necessary. I would add the stock gradually until you achieve the desired consistency. I prefer my soups to be slightly thick, so start off with 1 litre of stock, adding more if necessary.
User:Silvia Dillon, a visitor from Ecuador has made some regional variations to User:JuliaBalbilla's original recipe. The revision changes and variations can be seen in the history page for this recipe.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#peanuts #beef #tomatoes #onion #stock #potatoes #chillies #coriander #plantain #garlic #cumin