Smoked salmon timbales
Pretty and tasty
Smoked salmon lovers, here's a luxurious recipe that takes minutes to prepare and would serve as a wonderful starter or a tasty snack. I've added this recipe as a cheat because it's so simple to make and requires no cooking.
- 225 g (8 oz) smoked salmon slices
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 50 g (20 oz) cream cheese
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream, whipped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- Line 4 small ramekin dishes with slices of smoked salmon, leave a little aside to make lids.
- Add the avocado, lemon juice and cream cheese and mash to a puree.
- Fold in the whipped double cream and add the black pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Divide the mixture into four portions and fill the ramekin dishes, top with a cover of smoked salmon. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Turn the timbales out onto serving plates, surround with swirl of sour cream and sprinkle with dill.
I have made plenty of changes from the original recipe:
Because almost every ingredient in this recipe is so high in cholesterol I decided to omit the soured cream as a garnish altogether. I also reduced the size of the timbales by using a silicone muffin tray instead of ramekin dishes. This made more, smaller timbales.
Because of the astronomical cost cost of sliced smoked salmon, I used 100 g of sliced smoked salmon and 120 g of smoked salmon trimmings (87p!) - these I sliced thinly and chopped with a very sharp knife.
After 6 'muffins' there was still a some filling and some smoked salmon trimmings left over. These I mixed up into a small container and after chilling will probably make a rather fine spread - for breakfast maybe?
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#smokedsalmon #smokedsalmontimbales #avocado #worcestershiresauce #ramekindishes #butter #doublecream #sourcream #dill #lemonjuice #creamcheese