Pork curry, slow cooked with fruit, nuts and coconut
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Slow roast spiced pork with fruit and nuts)
- 800 g pork leg or pork shoulder, trimmed of most of the fat and cubed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 sticks of celery cut into small 'moons', use the chopped leaves as well if you have them
- 3 Cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace blades, ground to a powder
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika powder, (un-smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground to a powder
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- 3 teaspoons desiccated coconut
- 100 g raisins or sultanas
- 100 soft apricots, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted in a dry frying pan
- 4 tablespoons chopped almonds toasted in a dry frying pan
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- If you have the time, marinade the pork in the orange juice, orange zest and a pinch of salt. Drain the orange juice and add to the the wine before flouring the pork if you do this.
- Add the flour and pork to a Lock & Lock-style box, clip on the lid and give it a really good shake to coat the meat.
- Using half of the oil in a frying pan, brown the meat in small batches
- Add the browned meat to a large casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and gently saute the onions, garlic and celery for 5 minutes or until softened, if using th e celery leaves, add them with the wine, don't fry them.
- Add the spices, cook for a minute, then deglaze the frying pan with the white wine and add the wine and herbs to the casserole together with the remaining items.
- Season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Cover the casserole dish and cook in the oven for 2 hours 15 minutes
- Remove and discard the thyme twig before serving
Stir in a sliced-up banana during the last 30 minutes of cooking for a 1970's style curry!
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step by step roasting guide
- Slow roast recipes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.