Simple shepherd's pie
This is a nice easy shepherds pie recipe - see below for more complex versions.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 50g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- Garlic to taste, crushed (I used 1 bulb)
- A twist or two of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 large bay leaf
- 450g minced lamb or mutton
- 20 g flour
- 280 ml hot meat stock
- 140 ml milk
- 3/4 cup of garden peas
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 kg potatoes, peeled
- Butter, to taste
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and add the onion.
- Allow to stew until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and add the garlic .
- Fry for a further 5 minutes, or until the garlic is slightly golden. Stir from time to time.
- Remove from heat and increase the heat level to medium-high.
- Stir in the nutmeg and bay leaf.
- Return to the heat and add the lamb.
- Allow to stew for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the flour, and add the meat stock and the milk.
- Season to taste and add the peas and carrots.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes and pour into a greased baking dish.
- Allow to go cold.
- In the meantime, boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash with butter and seasoning.
- Rice, if desired.
- Once the lamb is cool, preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4).
- Spread the potatoes over the top and add a few knobs of butter if you like.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is golden-brown.
Serve with gravy.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.