Shepherd's pie with spicy lamb and pine nuts
This is another favourite from Sam & Sam Clark who run the Moro restaurant.
This is my variation of their potato cakes with spicy minced lamb, from the book (Casa Moro). If found the fried version a bit of a fiddle and too greasy.
Food of this style is likely to originate from the Northern Africa or the Middle East.
If you are looking for the classic shepherd's pie recipe, try this one.
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- Good pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 seeds from 3 green cardamom pods, ground to a powder
- 3 freshly ground cloves
- 4cm cinnamon stick ground to a powder
- 250g good quality minced lamb
- 50g pine nuts, dry toasted in a frying pan
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lime, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Add the butter and olive oil to a pan on a meduim/high heat. Add the onions when the butter begins to froth turn the heat down slightly and cook until caramelised - about 10 minutes
- Add the spices and stir well and cook for a minute
- Add the lamb and cook for about 8 minutes or until browned
- Drain any excess fat at this stage
- De-glaze the pan with the lime juice and 1 tablespoon of water
- Add the pine nuts, tomato puree, mint and parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Meanwhile, in salted water, boil the potatoes until cooked, 30 - 40 minutes, depending on size.
- Mash the potatoes and season with salt and black pepper, set aside and keep warm
- Spoon the mince into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish
- Using a large spoon, layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince, starting from the outside and working your way into the middle
- Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks
- Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes
Serve with garlic yogurt, a bitter leaf salad and lime quarters
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#blackpepper #potatoes #potato #lime #shepherdspiewithspicylambandpinenuts #pinenut #butter #parsley #mint #tomatopuree #onion