Sausage and apple pie with pumpkin-seed scattered pastry
This recipe was specially put together for this year's Kent County Show by debbie&andrew's sausages.
- 2 packs debbie&andrews perfect pork sausages, chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 green apples (Granny Smith or Bramley), cored and diced 250ml apple cider
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml chicken stock
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 egg - beaten
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat your oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- In a large heavy based saucepan over a medium-high heat, fry off the leeks, sausages and apples in the olive oil and butter for about 10 minutes until golden brown. Stir in the flour and cook out for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cider and reduce down to half. Add the stock, mustard and double cream and reduce until lovely and thick. Cool.
- Divide your filling between 6 small pie dishes
- On a floured bench top, cut out 6 pieces of pastry just larger than the small pie dishes/cups. Lay over the top of the pie dishes, using a fork tightly press the edges.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lovely and golden.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of debbieandandrew.co.uk
Many thanks to debbie&andrew's sausages for kindly giving Cookipedia permission to use the their recipes.