This version is from Elizabeth David Classics.
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Half an Oxo cube, crumbled
- A bouquet garni Bouquet garni for beef (parsley, thyme & a bay leaf)
- 284ml water (1/2 pint)
- 3 teaspoons of plain flour
- 180 ml Madeira sherry
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Slice the onion and carrot very finely
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a small pan with the onions and carrots and saute gently for a few minutes
- Add 285 ml of water, a chopped tomato, half a crumbled Oxo cube and the bouquet garni and cook for 20 minutes
- Make a paste with 3 teaspoons of flour and a few tablespoons of water
- Mix into the sauce, mix. You can press through a sieve to remove any lumps
- Heat while stirring until the sauce thickens
- Strain this mixture into a clean pan and add 180 ml of Madeira sherry
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter; don't allow it to burn
- Stir the melted butter into the strained sauce mixture - as Elizabeth David says: "it gives a characteristic flavour"
Elizabeth David's recipe requires a maggi cube but I'm sure Oxo will suffice!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.