Ras el hanout chicken (1)
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Ras el hanout chicken (1) recipes)
I bought some ras el hanout (couscous spice) from Birgit at The Spice Shop and have been messing about for ages finding recipes to use it in. It's a wonderful warm spicy mix, reminiscent of Arabian cuisine. I notice that Bart's Spices now produce one, but I doubt if it'll be as good as Birgit's!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, cut in half, lengthways and sliced thickly
- 310g skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 3 teaspoons ras el hanout
- 400g can of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 300ml hot chicken stock (make from a Knorr stock cube if you wish)
- 410g can of chick peas or the equivalent amount of dried beans, cooked
- Handful of coriander leaves and stalks, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok, add the carrots and onions and sweat them down for 10 minutes
- Remove and reserve the carrots and onions
- Increase the heat and brown the chicken strips for 4 minutes or so
- Stir in the spice mix and continue to heat for a few more minutes
- Return the carrots and onions to the pan, then add the tomatoes, chickpeas and the stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 25 minutes
Garnish with toasted almond flakes and sultanas
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.