Potato, cheese and garlic bake
This recipe has been adapted from Mrs Maureen Kirkland's recipe for Cheese Pie which appears in The Hairy Bikers' book, Mum's Know Best (ISBN 0297860267). My version is rather more powerful and rustic.
- 4 bulbs roasted garlic, squeezed
- 500 g potatoes, peeled
- Large knob of butter
- Splash of milk
- White pepper, freshly ground
- 180 g Cornish Quartz cheese
- 180 g Parmesan cheese
- 70 g fresh rye breadcrumbs
- Fried, sliced Indian green chillies, to taste (optional)
- Allow an hour beforehand to roast the garlic. Grease a shallow baking dish with butter.
- Keep the oven on at 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Boil the potatoes until they are cooked.
- Drain thoroughly and put through a ricer with the butter and milk.
- Add the pepper, garlic and chillies (if using) and mix well.
- Add 60 g each of the two cheeses and mix again.
- Layer the bottom of the baking dish with half of the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle a further 60 g each of the two cheeses over the top.
- Season again and spread the rest of the potato mixture over the top.
- Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle them onto the potato mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the cheese has crispened.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#potatocheeseandgarlicbake #cheese #butter #potato #garlic #breadcrumbs #baking #cheeses #cornishquartzcheese #potatoes #ricer