Pork honey and mustard sausages with jacket potatoes and baked beans
Not a very adventurous meal, but a damned good one, none the less.
A couple of tricks to turn this from a 'standard meal', to a special occasion
- Use high quality specialist sausages
- Prepare the baked potatoes so the skins are hard and crunchy
- 1 pack of high quality specialist sausages - see chef's notes below
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- A hand full of fresh herbs - sage is ideal
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 415g can of baked beans
- Chilli sauce
- Prepare your jacket potatoes by salting them for 4 hours - instructions are here. This gives you a rock hard, crunchy skin as you can see from the photo.
- Preheat your oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Bake the potatoes in the middle to the top of the oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add a tiny splash of olive oil to a small baking tray
- Arrange the chopped onions in the base of the baking tray
- Spread the herbs out evenly and place the sausages on the herby onions and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper
- After the potatoes have been cooking for about 45 minutes, pop the sausages in the in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Microwave the baked beans for 2 to 3 minutes, stir in your favourite chili sauce and serve.
- Gourmet sausage maker - Bexley - the sausages used were the pork honey and mustard - fabulous!
- Debbie & Andrew's sausages
- How to make very special baked potatoes
- A very good selection of chili sauce recipes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.