Olleta de la Valle de Guadalest
- 250 g white beans, which have been soaked overnight
- 400 g kohlrabi or turnips, peeled and chopped
- 250 g pork meat, eg, shank, trotter, ham hocks and pig's ear
- 50 g fatty bacon
- 4 morcillas (preferably the onion based ones, rather than the rice based), whole
- 200 g paella or pudding rice
- 70 ml olive oil
- 4 or more Cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 100 g onions, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of saffron, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 litres cold water or ham stock
- Place the beans, pork and bacon in a saucepan and pour over the water, cooking over a gentle heat.
- In a separate pan, fry the onions, garlic and kohlrabi or turnips in the oil, adding the paprika at the last minute.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan containing the pork and beans.
- Cook until the meat is almost tender and add salt to taste.
- Remove the meat from the pan, chop it into pieces, and return them to the pan with the morcillas and the saffron.
- Cook until you are left with about 1 litre of stock.
- Add the rice and cook on a medium heat for about 16-18 minutes until the stock has absorbed the rice.
- Serve, ensuring that each person has a morcilla.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.