Vindaloo is an Indian curry dish popular in the Goa region. This version uses mutton.
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin
- 5-6 chillies
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1½ teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 75 ml white vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 300ml water or stock
- 900 grams of mutton cut into 2½ cm cubes and trimmed of any fat
- A thumb sized piece of ginger. peeled
- 2 bulbs garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Grind in a mortar or coffee grinder the cumin seeds, chillies, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, mustard seeds and fenugreek.
- Place the ground spices in a bowl with the vinegar.
- Heat oil the in a pan, over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and fry, stirring frequently, until they turn brown and crispy.
- Leave the oil in the pan and blend the onions with 3 tablespoons water.
- Add this puree to spices - the mixture can be frozen at this stage if desired.
- Grind the ginger and garlic with a little water
- Reheat the oil, brown the meat cubes then remove them from the pan.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste to the oil for a few seconds, then the turmeric and coriander
- Add meat and all its juice, the vindaloo spice and the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook until the meat is tender.
Serve with plain basmati rice and cooked vegetables of your choice.
- A selection of vindaloo recipes
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#ginger #garlic #muttonvindaloo #onions #vindaloo #chillies #mustardseeds #turmeric #cardamomseeds #peppercorns #vinegar