Mexican potato cakes (V)
When these pancakes are made large they are good as a main course, topped with grilled cheese, guacamole, grilled vegetables and sour cream, refried beans, ceviche, etc. Make lots of small ones as finger food or starters.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 160g masa harina
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 1 Clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200g Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of chilli powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes, whole, in their skins until cooked, rub the skins off and mash them.
- Grate the cheese and onion
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor with a dough hook or a plastic blade and knead into a fairly firm dough, add a little water or more masa harina to adjust the consistency
- Rest for 30 minutes then roll out into 1cm thick pancakes
- Shallow fry in oil until golden brown and crispy, turning now and again.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pancakes #cheese #masaharina #potatoes #onion #maincourse #boil #foodprocessor #sourcream #grilled #fry