Medaljer (Medal cakes)
In Denmark, these cakes are given as a reward
- 85g butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 110g plain flour
- 140ml double cream, whipped
- 12 strawberries, hulled and halved
- Pre-heat the oven for 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C]
- Mix the butter and egg yolk, then blend in the flour.
- Knead well.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and put in a cool place for 1-2 hours.
- Roll out thinly on a floured surface.
- Cut circles with a plain edged 2.5cm pastry cutter (about 24 rounds)
- Place the rounds on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until pale golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Use the cream to sandwich the rounds, reserving a little for the tops.
- Pipe a small dot of cream on each cake and decorate with a strawberry half.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.