This recipe needs advance preparation!
I have amended the ingredients from the original recipe which can still be viewed on the comments page.
- 450 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 100 ml olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons extra
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 480 ml plain yogurt
- Flat leaved parsley and a little fresh basil, finely chopped
- Rain the liquid from the marinade and pat the chicken dry.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken on both sides.
- In another pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onions until they are golden.
- Place the chicken in the pan with the onions.
- Season the chicken with salt.
- Spread the yogurt over the chicken and onions, cover and allow to cook over a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and basil and serve.
Having no white wine around I used 100 ml of good sherry with 25 ml of water.
I also cut the chicken into large bite-sized pieces rather than use whole chicken breasts.
When I made this, the yogurt split badly, and no, I didn't boil it. I rescued this by thickening with a little cornflour. Using crème fraiche instead of yogurt would prevent this problem and produce an equally good dish.
Probably not very authentic, but this dish went really well with spaghetti!.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#mahdzoonchicken #chicken #basil #oliveoil #onions #yoghurt #marinade #garlic #yogurt #cornflour #wine