Lohikeitto (Salmon soup)
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 4 salmon steaks, about 2.5 cm thick, skin on
- 750ml fish stock or court bouillon
- Salt to taste
- 10 white peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 5 cm lengths
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 x 180ml milk
- 180ml cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 12 dill sprigs, finely chopped
- In large saucepan, bring the salmon, stock, white peppercorns, bay leaf and salt to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the salmon is cooked - about 15 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion until softened
- One the salmon is cooked, remove from the stock and leave to cool.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the salmon water and boil until almost done.
- After salmon has cooled, remove the skin and carefully remove any bones.
- When potatoes and carrots are almost done, add 180ml of milk, the cream and the onion.
- Mix the remaining 180ml milk with the flour and add to the potatoes and carrots.
- Cook until the potatoes and carrots are done, then add the salmon and dill and stir gently.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.