Llapingachos (Cheesy potato cakes)
This mountain dish from Ecuador can be served as a first course or as an accompaniment. These are very moorish!
- 900g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 60g butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 225g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Yellow cornmeal for dusting
- Oil, butter or annatto oil, for frying
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Drain and mash.
- Heat the butter and sauté the onions.
- Add the onions to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Shape the potatoes into 12 balls.
- Divide the cheese into 12 parts and stuff each of the potato balls with the cheese, flattening them as you do so into cakes or patties about 2.5cm thick.
- Roll them in a plate of yellow cornmeal
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- In enough butter or oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan, sauté the potato cakes until they are golden brown on both sides.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.