Liver with a mustard and lime sauce
We use a lot of liver and are always looking for new way to serve it. This recipe took my fancy.
- 450g (1 lb) lambs liver, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of plain flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) beef stock or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Slices of lime to garnish
- Trim the liver of any veins and membranes
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and place in a Lock and Lock type box
- Add the sliced liver, cover with the lid and shake like mad for 15 seconds to season the liver - see example picture
- Heat the oil and butter until if foams and quickly brown the liver for 1 minute a side - reserve and keep warm.
- Add the mustard, lime juice, lime zest and the stock. Bring to the boil, stirring to release any goodness stuck to the base of the pan - simmer vigorously until reduced and thickened.
- Add the liver back to the pan so it is well coated with the sauce and serve immediately.
The liver cooking time will depend on how thinly you slice it. Check that it is to your liking before it is reserved as it won't cook much more in the sauce.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#liver #lime #liverwithamustardandlimesauce #butter #mustard #limejuice #lockandlock #boil #plainflour #vegetablestock #stock