3.6/5 Not bad - could be nicer. The Judge
- 30ml groundnut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Garlic to taste, peeled and sliced
- ½-1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 green indian chillies, sliced
- 200g white basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt of your choice (omit if using stock)
- 500 ml boiling water or stock
- A few curry leaves
- The juice of 1 lime
- The grated zest of ½ lime
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a high heat and add the mustard seeds.
- Cover with a lid and wait for the seeds to start popping.
- Reduce the heat then add the garlic, chilli flakes and green chilli and cook until the garlic is just golden.
- Stir in the rice and cook for a minute or so until the grains are coated in oil and begin to turn transluscent.
- Stir in the turmeric.
- Add the boiling water or stock and cover.
- Reduce the heat and cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
- Do not lift the lid during this time.
- Stir in the curry leaves, lime juice and lime zest.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Gently fluff the grains of rice with a fork, and serve.
#stock #rice #mustardseeds #boiling #lime #garlic #chilliflakes #curryleaves #turmeric #grains #curry