I remember my mum used to cook kidney turbigo when we were small children and I even remember it being spicy. This is as close to her recipe that I have been able to get to the recipe she used to make.
- 12 shallots
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- Olive oil for frying
- 6 lambs kidneys, washed, skinned, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 pack of thin chipolata sausages (about 340 g)
- 150 g fresh button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons of sherry
- 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar
- 284 ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
- Good splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Blanch the shallots in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, drain and peel - it's easier after they have been blanched. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and sauté the kidneys and sausages on a fairly high heat until browned all over. Lift out the kidneys and sausages with a slotted spoon and set aside. I prefer to discard the juice and fat at this stage.
- Give the pan a wipe round, add 50 g of butter and add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Leaving the mushrooms and onions in the pan, remove it from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry and the sherry vinegar, add tomato puree, stock and bay leaf, 1 tablespoon of the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Cut the sausages in half or smaller pieces if you wish.
- Return to the heat, bring to the boil and return the kidneys and sausages, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
A few rashers of home smoked bacon added with the sausages would go well with this.
My first ever 'curry'
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#kidneysturbigo #kidneys #sausages #butter #sherry #onions #shallots #sherryvinegar #mushrooms #tomatopuree #bayleaf