I remember my mum used to cook kidney turbigo when we were small children and I even remember it being spicy. This is as close to her recipe that I have been able to get to the recipe she used to make.
- 12 shallots
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- Olive oil for frying
- 6 lambs kidneys, washed, skinned, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1 pack of thin chipolata sausages (about 340 g)
- 150 g fresh button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons of sherry
- 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar
- 284 ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
- Good splash of Louisiana hot pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Blanch the shallots in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, drain and peel - it's easier after they have been blanched. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and sauté the kidneys and sausages on a fairly high heat until browned all over. Lift out the kidneys and sausages with a slotted spoon and set aside. I prefer to discard the juice and fat at this stage.
- Give the pan a wipe round, add 50 g of butter and add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Leaving the mushrooms and onions in the pan, remove it from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Deglaze the pan with the sherry and the sherry vinegar, add tomato puree, stock and bay leaf, 1 tablespoon of the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Cut the sausages in half or smaller pieces if you wish.
- Return to the heat, bring to the boil and return the kidneys and sausages, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
A few rashers of home smoked bacon added with the sausages would go well with this.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#kidneysturbigo #kidneys #sausages #butter #sherry #onions #shallots #sherryvinegar #mushrooms #tomatopuree #bayleaf