Galopoula Gemisti (Stuffed turkey)
Stuffed turkey from Greece which is traditionally eaten on Christmas Day. This turkey is often the first meat eaten for 14-40 days, as members of the Greek Orthodox Church have a period of fasting leading up to Christmas Day.
- 5kg whole turkey
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 500 g minced beef
- 10 Roast chestnuts, chopped
- 50 g pine nuts
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 60 ml brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4).
- Wash and dry the turkey, rub it with the lemon and season inside and out.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan and sauté the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beef, allow to brown and stir in the brandy.
- Stir in the chestnuts, pine nuts, and further seasoning and remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, stuff the turkey cavity with the mixture and sew it up.
- Rub the turkey with butter and roast for 4-5 hours.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.