- 1.3 kgs (3 lb) chicken pieces, on the bone, skin removed - see Jointing a chicken
- 450 g (1lb) ground or well crushed walnuts
- 3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cups pomegranate juice, or 5 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses/syrup
- Sugar to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- Fry the onions in the oil for 4 minutes until soft
- Add the chicken pieces and fry with the onions until golden brown
- Add 3 cups of hot water and bring to boil
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes, adding more hot water if it starts to dry out
- Add the salt, ground walnuts and pomegranate juice or syrup (if using pomegranate syrup, add 2 more cups of hot water). Simmer until the chicken is properly cooked, a further 15 to 30 minutes.
- Add sugar to taste if it's too sour for your liking
- Sprinkle with toasted almonds and pomegranate pips if using
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#pomegranate #chicken #onions #walnuts #fesenjan #fry #toasted #pomegranatesyrup #almond #duck #beef