Dobladas are folded, stuffed tortillas from Guatemala.
For the tortillas:
- 330 ml hot water
- 250 g masa harina
For the filling:
- 150 g Cheddar cheese, grated or your favourite mature cheese
- 2 Red peppers, chopped
- 2 small Onions, chopped
To make the tortillas:
- Mix the hot water with the masa harina - a food processor is ideal as the water should be very hot.
- Allow to cool and shape into 10 equal sized balls.
- Using a rolling pin or a tortilla press, shape into very thin disks.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium high temperature.
- Cook each tortilla on one side for 15 seconds.
- Turn and cook for 45 seconds.
- Turn again and cook for a further 15 seconds.
- They should have brown speckles.
To make the dobladas:
- Heat some oil over a lowish heat in the same frying pan.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Place a tortilla in the pan and place some of the filling on one half of the tortilla.
- When the cheese has melted, fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling and serve.
I have not specified any quantities for the filling as I feel that it is down to your own individual preference.
If you don't have a tortilla press, use 2 chopping boards or just two sheets of wood as a substitute. Place ball of dough between two non-stick surfaces such as small squares of Bake-O-Glide and stand on them!
See the Tortilla Press page for UK suppliers.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#tortilla #tortillapress #tortillas #masaharina #onions #panfried #dobladasv #cheddarcheese #appetiser #rollingpin #maincourse