- 900 g boneless chicken pieces, cubed
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2.5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 bulbs garlic (or to taste), peeled and finely diced
- 16 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in water
- 250 ml water from the soaked mushrooms
- 60 ml soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally in 2.5 cm chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 4 large, or 8 small spring onions, cut into 3 cm lengths
- Put the chicken into a saucepan without oil and stir-fry over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, onions and ginger and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic fry for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover the pan and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring from time-to-time, until the chicken is cooked.
The soaking time for dried mushrooms can vary, so please follow the instructions on the packaging.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.