Pain de Campagne (Country Bread)
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Country bread)
This recipe for a French country bread is an adaptation (for use with a breadmaker) of a Spanish recipe at Gastronomia y Cia.. I made this using a Pansasonic SD-255. Start making the bread the day before you wish to eat it.
- 380 g French bread flour or strong white flour
- 100 g wholewheat rye flour
- 325 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 325 g water
- 5 g Easy Blend dried yeast
- 8 g salt
- 260 g French bread flour or strong white flour
- 55 g wholewheat rye flour
- 175 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 175g water
- 4 g Easy Blend dried yeast
- 4 g salt
The mother dough is made first.
- Add the mother dough ingredients to the pan of your breadmaker in the order specified in the manufacturer's instructions.
- If the breadmaker has a French bread dough only setting, use that. If it does not, then use the longest dough programme available. For the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker this is menu option 21, French dough.
- Allow the dough to rise in the pan for a minimum of 6 hours in the breadmaker or place it overnight in a fridge, in which case, remove from the fridge 2 hours before making the bread dough.
- Add the bread dough ingredients to the mother dough in the breadmaker and set to the same programme that you used for the mother dough.
- Allow the dough to rise until double its size.
- Remove from the breadmaker and place on a floured board.
- Knead and divide the mixture into two or three equal parts and shape as desired.
- Place the loaves on baking tins, cover and leave again until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at the highest temperature and at the same time place a bowl or tray of water on the bottom.
- When the loaves have risen, put them in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 220° C (425° F - gas 7).
- Should the loaves become too brown during baking, cover them with tin foil.
- Allow to bake for 30-35 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool on a cake rack.
If you want to bake the whole thing in the breadmaker, reduce the ingredients by a third or a half and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.