Chicken pasta in a herby 6 vegetable ragu - Jamie Oliver 15 minute meals
Another of my takes on Jamie's 15 minute meals. Keeping it fairly close to his original, the only differences being that I'll use tagliatelle, rather than wholewheat fusilli as I find fusilli quite a 'heavy' pasta, and the wholewheat version even more so. I'll use my home smoked bacon and some nice mature Mahón-Menorca cheese instead of parmesan.
I think you would be pushed to prep this meal in 15 minutes, let alone prep and cook. Anyway, a brilliant meal and well worth making. I've used 3 chicken breasts and this will stretch to 6 servings if your not too greedy.
- 1 carrot, trimmed and peeled - sorry Jamie, I have a little more time than you did!
- 1 leek, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 courgette, topped and tailed
- 1 red sweet pepper, deseeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs of freshly picked thyme
- 500 g passata
- 320 g tagliatelle, smashed into small pieces so they don't remain as 'nests'
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed
- 4 rashers of home smoked bacon or pancetta
- 1 green indian chilli pepper (or to taste)
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 freshly picked bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Quarter the leek lengthwise, keeping the past part uncut in order to feed through the food processor easily
- Slice the celery into four, lengthwise, leaving the leafy end uncut for the same reason
- Peel, top and tail the carrot and slice into 4 lengthwise, ditto with the courgette
- Cut the pepper into strips
- Feed all of the vegetables through a food processor with a thin slicing cutter so they are all finely chopped, feed them through a second time if need be
- Add the olive oil and a grind of black pepper to an iron casserole dish and heat over the hob
- Add the thyme leaves picked from the sprig and the vegetables and pan-fry for 10 minutes stirring regularly
- After the vegetables have been cooked, stir in the passata and simmer gently
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in boiling salted water for about 6 minutes or according to the packet instructions
- Hammer the chicken breasts flat and cut into a 2 cm dice
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and a grind of black pepper and the sprig of rosemary and the bay leaves in a separate pan or wok and stir-fry the chicken until golden and properly cooked
- Cut the bacon into fine slices, crush the garlic and finely chop the chilli
- Add these to the chicken and stir fry with the pine nuts until the bacon is browned
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little of the cooking liquor to loosen the finished dish
- Mix the pasta and the sauce, adding a little of the liquor to loosen it if needed
- Scatter the chicken and bacon over the pasta and garnish with finely grated Mahón-Menorca cheese and a little chopped parsley
- Based on a recipe seen on Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals, but made more leisurely!
Make your own pasta from scratch
The normal (non-Youtube) recipe for home-made pasta is here if you prefer.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.