Chicken kadra with Chickpeas, red peppers and raisins
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 1 chicken cut into about 6 pieces, it's very easy to do, see here
- 175g of dried chick peas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 6 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 pinches of saffron
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 850 ml (1.5 pints) of Chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons smen or ghee
- 2 roasted sweet peppers, roasted, deseeded and slices, see here
- Half a teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoon chopped dried fruit ; raisins, sultanas, apricots, prunes
- 4 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
- Toasted almond flakes
- Lemon wedges
- 10 slices crusty bread or buttery cous-cous or boiled potatoes
- Roast, skin and deseed the red peppers and slice thinly
- Separate the chicken into 6 pieces, discard the skin
- To a large Dutch oven or heavy based pan, add the chicken pieces, the soaked and drained chick peas, half of the chopped onions, the saffron strands, cinnamon sticks, salt and pepper.
- Add enough chicken stock to cover the chicken by about 2.5 cm (1 inch)
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining onions, dried fruit, smen or ghee together with half of the parsley and half of the red pepper slices.
- Cook gently for a further hour
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#onions #chicken #parsley #chickpeas #driedfruit #cinnamonsticks #ghee #dutchoven #bread #redpepper #toasted