If you don't like aubergines, you will change your mind if you try this
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon extra hot chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- The finely chopped skin of a small preserved lemon (a Belazu one is ideal)
- 140ml olive oil, plus extra
- 2 medium aubergines
- 150g fine bulgur wheat, soaked in 140ml boiling water
- 50g sultanas, soaked for 10 minutes in warm water
- 20g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 50g pitted green olives, chopped
- 30g flaked almonds, toasted
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 120ml Greek yogurt
- Fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
For the chermoula
- Mix the garlic, cumin, coriander, chilli, paprika, preserved lemon, 90ml of the oil and ½ teaspoon salt and reserve.
For the aubergines
- Cut them in half lengthways.
- Cut through the flesh in a criss-cross, ensuring that you don't cut the skin.
- Spread the chermoula over the aubergines and place on a baking tray, cut side up.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
For the topping
- Whilst the aubergines are baking, mix the bulgur with the sultanas, the remaining 50ml olive oil, herbs, olives, almonds, spring onions, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Check salt and add more if necessary.
- Place the aubergines on plates and spoon the bulgur mixture on top, allowing some to fall down the sides.
- Spoon over the yogurt, sprinkle with chopped parsley and drizzle with a little oil.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Lightly adapted from a recipe in Jerusalem (ISBN 0091943744) by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#aubergines #chermoulaaubergine #oliveoil #sultanas #chermoula #bulgur #almonds #lemonjuice #springonions #coriander #preservedlemon