Cheese and lentil wedges
Going through my mum's cookery notes and found this favourite of hers.
- 225 g (8 oz) red lentils
- 450 ml (3/4 pint) water
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 100g (4 oz) Grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 25 g 91 oz) Breadcrumbs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Add the lentils to the water and bring to the boil.
- Cook until all the water has been absorbed.
- Add the butter to a frying pan or a wok and add a good grind of black pepper.
- Saute the onion for 6 minutes in the butter or until softened.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and fill a 23 cm (9") sandwich tin. Press down to compact and top with the sliced tomatoes.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
Serve, sliced into wedges. This is good hot or cold.
- My mum!
Use fresh herbs if available.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #onion #tomatoes #cheeseandlentilwedges #saute #wok #grated #sandwich #driedmixedherbs #egg #wedges