Broudou bil hout (Fish soup)
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 2 kg mixed fish and seafood, skinned, boned, peeled etc and cut into small pieces, if necessary
- 4 onions, roughly chopped
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 large green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- Garlic, to taste, peeled and findly diced
- 3 litres fish stock, water or court bouillon
- 4 large potatoes, cut into smallish chunks
- 2 bulbs fennel, with leaves, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Large pinch saffron, pounded
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons harissa, or to taste
- 2 preserved lemons, finely chopped
- 8 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions until soft.
- Add the peppers and garlic and when the peppers are soft, add the fish stock, water or court bouillon.
- Stir in the potatoes, salt, saffron, cumin, cinnamon, harissa and preserved lemons and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Add the fish, tomatoes and herbs and add further liquid if necessary and cook for a few minutes until the fish is done.
Serve with bread.
You can also add 2 tablespoons of capers, 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds and/or 1 teaspoon ground coriander. Use the juice of 1½ lemons instead of the preserved lemons and if you do not have any harissa, substitute it with 1 teaspoon paprika and ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.