Basa and pumpkin fishcakes
- 1 small squash - about the size of a very large grapefruit
- Olive oil
- 2 fresh basa fillets or smoked basa fillets.
- A little milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg beaten with a little milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120 g breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5)
- Place the basa fillets in a flat oven dish and add a little milk, or milk and water, so the fish is just covered.
- Halve the pumpkin and remove the seeds, leave the skin on as it's easier to remove the flesh after cooking than it is to peel first.
- Cut a few slashes in the squash, drizzle with olive oil and season well
- Roast in the top of the oven for 30 minutes or until the flesh is soft
- After the squash has been roasting for 15 minutes, bake the basa, covered, in the bottom of the oven for the last 15 minutes.
- Scoop the pumpkin flesh into a bowl, add the butter, seasoning, chives or spring onions, lemon juice and seasoning and mash well.
- Drain the fish and discard the milk. Remove the skin from the basa and flake into a bowl with the squash, add the flour and mix well.
- Shape into 12 small oval patties (or 5 huge ones), coat with beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flour to absorb moisture.
- Shallow fry for a few minutes a side turning often.
Use cornmeal or masa harina instead of flour for different flavour and texture. I used 2 large ladles of masa this time and they were really special fishcakes.
Add some chopped chillies to the fishcakes for a little bite!
If you don't want to use an oven, the squash can be sliced and boiled in water as you would potatoes. Leave the skin on for ease of preparation. Half cover the basa with milk and simmer in a shallow pan for 6 minutes, turning once.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#squash #basa #breadcrumbs #basaandpumpkinfishcakes #springonions #egg #chives #pumpkin #butter #oliveoil #fry