Baby cauliflower cheese
I normally find baby vegetables rather faddy, but when I spotted some sweet little cauliflowers, I decided to give them a try. I am the only person at home who really likes cauliflower, so buying a large one can be rather wasteful and I loathe frozen cauliflower.
- 4 baby cauliflowers
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 20g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 300ml warm milk
- 30g mature Cheddar or Mahón-Menorca cheese, grated
- 15g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Parsley, finely chopped
- 10g Parmesan for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6).
- Boil or steam the cauliflowers until they are almost cooked.
- Drain, plunge into cold water for a few minutes, then drain thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the garlic and allow to sauté gently until golden - do not let it brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Very slowly, add the milk, a little at a time, whilst continuously stirring.
- Continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened (about 5 minutes) - do not allow the sauce to boil.
- Add the cheeses and stir until they have melted
- Add the mustard and cayenne pepper, adjust seasoning and cook gently for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Pour a little of the sauce into the bottom of an oven-proof dish, arrange the cauliflowers over it, then pour the remaining sauce over them.
- Sprinkle with the extra Parmesan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Brown under a hot grill.
- Cauliflower cheese
- Broccoli and cauliflower cheese
- Basic white sauce
- Cheese sauce
- Heston Blumenthal's perfect cauliflower cheese recipe
- Mornay sauce
- BBC - cauliflower_cheese recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#cauliflower #babycauliflowercheese #parmesan #boil #cayennepepper #grated #butter #sauce #parsley #garlic #bake