Apple crumble recipe (Mum's)
Another recipe from Mum's scribbled cookery notes, this recipe was one of her favourites. As she grew older and more reliant on others, this was a treat she always asked me to make for her.
- 675 g (1.5 lb) cooking apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon water
- 50g (2 oz) Muscovado sugar or jaggery
- ½ teaspoon powdered mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6), [fan oven 180° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Peel, core and slice the apples
- Add to a small pan together with the remaining filling ingredients and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Don't cook any longer as you don't want a puree for this recipe
- Pour the mixture into a 1.2 l (2 pint) ovenproof dish and leave to cool
- Add the butter and flour to a bowl and rub the butter into the flour until it becomes crumb-like
- Fold in the sugar
- Add the topping to the apple mixture and bake for 25 minutes
Serve hot with custard
- Mango and ginger crumble
- Apple crumble recipe
- Apple crumble recipe (Mum's)
- Traditional crumble topping
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.