- 570 ml (1 pint) of milk
- 55 ml (2 fl oz) single cream
- 1 vanilla pod or ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 30 g (1 oz) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- Grated nutmeg (optional)
- Heat the milk, cream and vanilla pod to a slow simmer
- In a separate large bowl, vigorously whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour (and vanilla extract if used)
- Pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking all the while
- Return the mixture to the pan and stir until thickened. Check that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan
- Pour into a serving jug
Serve immediately whilst still hot with a small grating of fresh nutmeg if liked
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.