Mango and ginger crumble
Lovely mix of flavours
5/5 What a combination - fabulous! The Judge
A tasty fruit crumble recipe that goes well with homemade custard.
- 100g softened butter, diced, plus a little extra for greasing
- 3 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into slices
- 180 g raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, or fruit of your choice
- Juice and zest of a small tangerine or orange
- 4 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 140 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g cornflakes
- 100 g caster sugar, plus ½ teaspoon for dusting
- 25 g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Grease a suitable baking dish with butter
- Add the mangoes, brown sugar, juice and zest of the tangerine or orange and 8 tablespoons of water
- Stir and simmer for 5 minutes, remove from the heat and fold in your fruit of choice
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl and mix with the cornflakes, scrunching them up as you go. Add the butter ginger powder and the sugar and knead into the breadcrumbs with your fingers.
- Spoon the crumble over the top of the fruit
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and dust with the extra sugar
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden
- As almonds can easily burn, lay a sheet of tin-foil over the crumble if it's getting too brown after 15 minutes
The original recipe called for rolled porridge oats, but I changed it to cornflakes as I remember my mum making crumble like this, many years ago. This type of crumble does not hold together as well as a flour-type crumble, but it's all crunch and delicious.
- Mango and ginger crumble
- Apple crumble recipe
- Apple crumble recipe (Mum's)
- traditional crumble topping
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#mangoandgingercrumble #cornflakes #butter #brownsugar #breadcrumbs #tangerine #gingerpowder #orange #almonds #porridgeoats #blueberries